Chikungunya Virus Infection in Pakistan
03 Mar 2017
On 27 February 2017, WHO reporteda total of 803 cases of chikungunya virus infection since 19 December 2016 in the Sindh province, including 29 cases reported in various towns in Karachi during the week of 10-16 February 2017. Of the 92 samples sent to the National Institute of Health for testing, 71 have been laboratory-confirmed postive for Chikungunya virus.
Advice for Travellers
No vaccine is available against Chikungunya. Avoidance of mosquito bites is the only reliable means of prevention. Methods of bite avoidance include:
- Wearing long, loose, lightly coloured clothing to cover up the skin.
- The use of insect repellant containing DEET applied to any exposed skin.
- The use of permethrin, impregnated mosquito nets.
- The use of air conditioning if available and/or mesh screening of windows and doors.
- Eradication of mosquito breeding sites around the home (e.g. open containers, old tyres or flower pots that may collect water).