Chikungunya in Southern France (Update 2)
27 Sep 2017
France has reported a total of 11 cases of chikungunya in two parts of the Var department in Provence.
In the area of Cannet-des-Maures, 9 cases have been reported up to 21 September 2017. Of these, 8 are in Cannet-des-Maures itself and 1 is in the neighbouring commune of Brignoles. A new cluster of 2 cases in Taradeau commune (about 13 km) from Cannet-des-Maures was reported on 20 September 2017. It is likely that these clusters are linked to each other.
Advice for Travellers
No vaccine is available against chikungunya. Avoidance of mosquito bites is the only reliable means of prevention. Methods of bite avoidance include:
- Wearing long, loose, lightly coloured clothing to cover up the skin.
- The use of insect repellant containing DEET applied to any exposed skin.
- The use of permethrin, impregnated mosquito nets.
- The use of air conditioning if available and/or mesh screening of windows and doors.
- Eradication of mosquito breeding sites around the home (e.g. open containers, old tyres or flower pots that may collect water).
For further information see Chikungunya Fever.