Chikungunya in Tanzania (Zanzibar)
08 May 2018
Public health authorities in Tanzania have reported (via media) an outbreak of chikungunya in Zanzibar. The outbreak is reported to have begun in Stone Town and while case numbers are not given, 50 cases a day are said to be seen at Mnazi Mmoja Hospital.
Advice for Travellers
No vaccine is available against chikungunya. Avoidance of mosquito bites is the only reliable means of prevention. Methods of bite avoidance include:
- Wearing long, loose, lightly coloured clothing to cover up the skin.
- The use of insect repellant containing DEET applied to any exposed skin.
- The use of permethrin, impregnated mosquito nets.
- The use of air conditioning if available and/or mesh screening of windows and doors.
- Eradication of mosquito breeding sites around the home (e.g. open containers, old tyres or flower pots that may collect water).
For further information see Chikungunya Fever.