Chikungunya in Sudan
08 Oct 2018
According to the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control there is a large outbreak of chikungunya in Sudan. In September 2018 there have been 11 000 cases of chikungunya in the state of Kassala which is on the border with Eritrea.
Advice for Travellers
No vaccine is available against chikungunya. Avoidance of mosquito bites is the only reliable means of prevention. Methods of bite avoidance include:
- Wearing long, loose, lightly coloured clothing to cover up the skin.
- The use of insect repellant containing DEET applied to any exposed skin.
- The use of permethrin, impregnated mosquito nets.
- The use of air conditioning if available and/or mesh screening of windows and doors.
- Eradication of mosquito breeding sites around the home (e.g. open containers, old tyres or flower pots that may collect water).
For further information see Chikungunya Fever.