Olympic Winter Games Beijing 2022
10 Dec 2021
The 2022 Winter Olympic are scheduled to be held in China between 4 to 20 February 2022 and the 2022 Winter Paralympic Games scheduled between 4 to 13 March 2022. Winter sport events are to held in various venues across the cities of Beijing, Zhangjiakou and Yanqing district.
The weather in Beijing in February is usually cold and very dry, with average high temperatures around 4°C (39°F) during the day, and freezing temperatures around -8°C (19°F) at night.
The countdown for the Beijing 2022 Olympic Winter Games is underway, but guidelines are subject to change as the COVID-19 situation evolves.
- The Beijing 2022 Playbooks outline the responsibilities of all Games participants and health and safety rules that must be followed, including information specific to COVID-19 precautions.
- The Playbooks are jointly developed by Beijing 2022, the International Olympic Committee (IOC) and the International Paralympic Committee (IPC), in close collaboration with the Chinese Government and relevant authorities and will be regularly updated as guidelines change.
Advice to Travellers
The UK Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) currently advise that all direct flights from the UK to mainland China have been suspended, and a future review date has not yet been given.
If you are planning on travelling to China indirectly for the Games, before booking any travel you should:
- review the latest FCDO foreign travel advice including entry requirements and quarantine restrictions; and also the rules for entering the UK on your return
- be aware that international travel guidance may change at short notice
- make sure you are up to date with UK recommendations on COVID-19 vaccination
- review and follow the latest travel health advice for China: see the fitfortravel China country page for further information
- if you are at increased risk of severe COVID-19, you should carefully consider your travel plans and consider seeking medical advice prior to making any decisions about travelling
- be aware of precautions you need to take to reduce your risk of exposure to coronavirus (COVID-19) before, during and after travel as detailed on the COVID-19: Health Considerations for Travel page
- ensure that you have comprehensive travel insurance that covers all of the activities you are planning on your trip